Tuesday 30 June 2009

monkey and bear


A 20 minute illustration, literally. There is a reason - all will become clear when I edit this post shortly - but, if I'm honest, this illustration has been in my head for some time and I just needed a reason to do it. It's inspired by Monkey and Bear on Joanna Newsom's Ys album. I love this song, but have to admit the lyrics have troubled me for some time - something awful happens to that bear... Listen and see if you agree...

Edit: And as promised, here's why I did it. Mikka's is one of the saddest stories I've come across. Read it and I promise you, you will have to draw a bear (and I hope you do).... My spread for Mishkina Knizhka (the little bear's book and Misha's book) is above. Mikka's photographs are fabulous, what a pointless waste. Sometimes I really do wonder...

No comments: